PERU – DAYS 7 & 8

We had finally made it back to a civilized city and a nice hotel.  We were at the Marriott in Miraflores, one of the very trendy areas in Lima, Peru.  The nice beds must have captured us as it was noon until we made our way out for breakfast.  We found one of the most famous brunch places and filled our tummies with omelets, and pancakes, and croissants, and coffee.  We didn’t have much planned for the day so we wondered the area of Miraflores overlooking the Pacific Ocean.

We made a few stops along the way to stock up on over-the-counter medications.  In Peru, it is possible to get medications over-the-counter that would be prescription medications in The States.  Some examples…antiobiotics, antifungal meds, Z-Packs.  And, all of these are extremely inexpensive, often less than $3 or $4 USD for a months supply.

We also stopped at a few clothing shops.  Julie found a few things; the rest of us just enjoyed the browsing.  Finally, we found a cute restaurant that was situated immediately on the cliff over looking the Pacific Ocean.  We sat here for hours, drinking and eating, and enjoying our last few hours together.  Julie had a 10 pm flight, so we would be saying goodbye to her a day before we left.

Around 7 pm that night, I shut the door to Julie’s Uber and watched her drive away to the airport.  The next morning, Tony and I had no plans, so we headed to the very famous breakfast place again and I indulged in one of the largest ice cream desserts a person could possibly imagined.  It was DELICIOUS!

With no plans for the rest of the day, Tony and I decided to pack our bags, check out of the hotel, and enjoy some time near the ocean.  We found another restaurant overlooking the Pacific Ocean again, and settled in a cozy booth for a few hours.  Our flight was departing later that evening.  About two hours before we would need to grab a taxi, the earth shook hard and people jumped out of their seats with screeches of fear.  For just a few seconds, the restaurant was chaos.  The earth stopped shaking, and the glasses stopped rattling.  It was my first, and hopefully my last earthquake, in the Andes mountains.  I knew at that moment that it was time to go home.  About an hour later we made our way to the airport for our red-eye flight home.  It truly was a trip of a lifetime, like so many of my travel adventures.



Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

Blog at

Up ↑

%d bloggers like this: